Law Offices of Douglas Scheinman

Nassau Traffic and Family Law Attorney

Custody, Visitation And Support Orders Can Be Modified

We Assist New York Parents With Relocations And More

Life doesn’t stop changing when you get divorced. Some changes may require modifying existing orders regarding custody or support. Modifications are commonly brought based upon:

  • Changes in income (generally, an increase or decrease of at least 15 percent)
  • Extended loss of employment by either parent
  • Increased expenses due to a child’s medical needs, extracurricular activities, educational needs or other changes
  • Relocation of a parent
  • Birth of other children

At the Law Offices of Douglas Scheinman, we provide knowledgeable legal counsel to clients throughout metropolitan New York City on modifications to existing orders regarding child support, custody and visitation, and spousal support. We help clients petition for modifications or defend against such action.

Your Child’s Best Interests Are What Matter

If you and your child’s other parent agree to terms of a modification, we will ensure the proper processes are followed and all necessary documents are submitted. Couples sometimes rely on verbal agreements and make adjustments on the fly. You should not take that risk. Without a court-approved modification order in place, your child’s other parent could revert to a previous custody or support arrangement and force you to comply. Our firm advises clients to obtain and maintain a journal promptly recording all significant events that may serve as the basis for a successful petition.

If you cannot reach a modification agreement through negotiation or mediation, the court will weigh what is in the best interests of the child. Parents should never pressure a child regarding custody or visitation. Attempts to alienate one parent from the other are frowned upon by the court and will likely have an adverse effect on a child. We work closely with our clients to ensure the strong parent-child bond remains intact.

Give Yourself Ample Time To Complete A Modification

It is important to provide several months or more for a modification to be approved, especially if there is a possibility that your child’s other parent will contest the petition. It can take a year or more to approve some modification petitions.

Our experienced modification lawyer will answer your questions and provide a candid assessment of what you can expect during a free consultation. Call 718-525-8844 or use our online contact form to schedule an appointment.